Saturday, May 26, 2012

Upwards

Today I was rock climbing for the first time in my life. After practicing on some easy beginner routes, I couldn't resist trying a slightly tougher one.

When I reached the halfway mark, I just couldn't find a nice place to place my left foot. My position felt strained, causing me to wobble a little. And there was no rock on my wall to put a foot on! Feeling frustrated, I started trying to pull myself up with my hands alone, but it seemed that I did not have any of Spiderman's powers.

As I was stuck in this conundrum, my friend shouted from below:

"JUST USE THE OTHER WALL".

I was actually climbing up a corner, so once I turned to my left the solution became apparent; I should just brace myself on a rock on the other side of the corner. So I did, and went up to reach the top.

After some reflection, I think in life I tend to keep bashing my head against the same door, either going through or giving up. But maybe, just maybe, if I turn and look in another direction, there might be another and less painful way of ascending.

But it's so hard to see it when you are trying your best to go up. So sometimes, I suppose one has to trust others - or you miss what is staring you in the eyes.



No comments:

Post a Comment