Sunday, July 22, 2012

Gap

Yesterday night I was sitting outside a club, waiting to gather up enough soberness to be capable of driving home. As I was sitting there, this girl next to me glanced over to my side just as I glanced over to hers. So I smiled at her, she smiled back, and we started chatting.

We talked about all kinds of funny things, such as how people vomited in the club, how guys in my gang was fighting over girls, how her group was going crazy, etc etc. And everything just felt so normal. When her friends came out she smiled and said goodbye to me, and all her friends waved and smiled to me as well.

So the gap between people, normally so far and gaping, was narrowed just for that moment. And I hope we could all do that normally as well, to strangers who need a ride, to old people in the park, to passer-bys on the road, and everyone else.

The gap that day was bridged partially by alcohol I suppose. I do hope one day we will all be able to bridge the chasm between souls without it.

Or I will have to pass out vodka in the park.

4 comments: