Wednesday, August 7, 2013

An offer

I got an job offer recently. The pay was somewhat better, but not a whole lot better - so I rejected it. I will not budge unless I get a 50% increment!

To some extent, I feel I owe loyalty to my company as they gave me a start in a fairly good line when I was just a lowly fresh grad and knew nothing. Is this loyalty as ironclad as that of Japanese employees in the past? No, I have my price too and for the right price I will move, however this time I did not get the right price. Sorry.

Somehow I feel very comfortable with my workplace. Familiar faces, seniors to run to when I have no idea what to do, etc. I worry that this is the comfort zone people speak of, and that I have fallen into it, as every time I think of leaving the company for other opportunities I feel slightly reluctant.

I guess if one day I have to leave then I must think of the lousy coffee vending machines to give me impetus.

1 comment: