Sunday, March 11, 2012

Don't ask for so much pay?

When we go for interviews, the most pressing question in our mind is probably "How much are they going to pay me?" This leads to the next question "How much should I ask for?"

Personally I would ask for as much as I can get. However sometimes I hear people making the statement "you should not ask for too much, because the more pay you get the more people expect from you".

From a general point of view, I agree with this statement. A lot more is expected from a manager making ten thousand a month compared to a fresh grad making two thousand. The trouble is, this expectation is not directly linked to pay - it is linked to position.

So you really have three variables instead of two: pay, position and expectation.

Expectation and pay are both linked to position.

Coming back to our example of the interview situation, say I am interviewing for a position, and I ask for two thousand a month, while candidate B asks for two thousand five hundred for the same position. Both of us get it together with the salary we ask for.

Is my supervisor going to expect less of me compared to B because he is getting more pay?

I HIGHLY DOUBT IT.

So I think it is wiser to ask for the maximum you can get for that position.

No comments:

Post a Comment