Sunday, March 25, 2012

How I got my scholarship

I just collected my college diploma not long ago so let me reminisce a little...

A few years back I was applying for a scholarship at the college I was about to transfer to. After submitting my written application, I got called for the interview session. My job was to convince the person in charge that I was worthy of it.

So I came to the hall where my fate was to be decided, and entered the cubicle when my turn was up. A young lady was waiting inside, only a few years older than me. Seeing that she had a rather friendly smile I relaxed a bit.

After asking me some questions about myself and my family background, she leveled a very direct statement at me:

"Your results are not bad, but not that great also. In view of that, why should we give you this scholarship?"

Suddenly a flash of inspiration hit me. I took a deep breath, then told her:

"My lady, your point about my results are absolutely correct. I wish I had done better as well. However, I would like to elaborate on something. May I proceed?"

She nodded assent.

"The ancient Greeks felt that education should be all-encompassing, including not only the instilling of knowledge and the refinement of intellect, but also athletics to train the physique and social activities to shape one into a citizen who can relate to others and be a pillar of our society."

She kept nodding, so I went on.

"Although my grades may not be at the very top, and I swear to make sure that from today onwards they are, I believe I can contribute to the college in other aspects. In my old college (I was a transfer student), I used to organize various activities (here I elaborated a bit more), which I viewed as an integral part of college life for all of us. If you would consider accepting me into the college with this scholarship, I'm sure I could do the same thing here for my fellow students. In line with what the Ancient Greeks expected from their best and brightest, of course."

One week later I received a letter saying I had got the full scholarship. Ancient Greeks FTW!

1 comment: