Saturday, August 11, 2012

Gay Marriage

Recently the subject of gay and lesbian marriage has been in the public eye to a significant extent. Firstly, I would like to clarify that I have no personal dislike whatsoever towards homosexuality, neither do I think it is sinful.

Yet, is the standpoint of "being gay is not a sin" naturally equivalent to "gay marriage should be accepted as just the same as normal marriage"? In my humble opinion, I think the two standpoints do have some difference.

I'm sure most of us would agree that it would be morally repugnant to allow gays to be persecuted legally, or called names in streets, or to suffer any kind of discrimination against in society or professionally. As individuals, they should enjoy each and every rights that other members of society do.

However when it comes to the institution of marriage, when we look at it from a more pragmatic viewpoint, what is the purpose of marriage? Obviously it is to raise kids in a stable family setting, with certain economic advantages given for said kids (tax breaks). If it was just to find a soulmate, that could be done without signing the contract.

So since the legal and societal function of marriage is to raise kids, if gay couple cannot have kids, wouldn't such tax breaks be inapplicable to them?

My personal opinion is that all marriages should not have tax breaks - as even straight marriages may not have kids. But after they have a kid, the amount deducted should be larger than present to even things up.

If that is done, then yes I support gay marriage.

No comments:

Post a Comment