Wednesday, October 26, 2011

English

Every time I see people discuss in the newspaper or other mediums on the "teach math and science in English" thing, I facepalm.

Of course math and science should be taught in English, when we go to college that's what its taught in anyway, the international language. In fact, all this discussion is missing the point:

THE OFFICIAL LANGUAGE OF MALAYSIA SHOULD BE ENGLISH ANYWAY.

This would accomplish many things:

1. Our nation would be more competitive: Multinationals would be more keen on hiring people here.

2. Students would do better academically with one main language all the way from nursery to university.

3. I don't need to hear this stupid debate over teaching what in what.

Now many people are going to come and tell me that Malay is our national language and we should take pride in it and tradition and bla bla bla. To this I have one reply:

LOOK AT SINGAPORE PLEASE.

See how they are performing and how we are performing?

Besides, I think that if we all spoke English, the country would be much more united. No matter what race you are, we would all automatically speak English to each other without question; we would share the same jokes and slang. I know the government wants us to do that with Malay but sorry, it's not happening. To be fair, I would say the same if Chinese were the majority and people wanted to use Chinese as the official language. Thanks but no thanks.

1 comment: